The ECOSEO project is a regional cooperation initiative coordinated by the French Guiana office of WWF-France and aims to preserve the ecosystems and services they provide within the Guiana Shield region (Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and the State of Amapá)
In the form of an Observatory of Ecosystem Services, the project aims to promote a transnational approach to improve the management of the territory's ecosystems and carries out the collection of data, the production and updating of land use maps, the production of ecosystem accounts using available data, etc.
From 2019 to 2021, the project organized regional workshops on:
- Land use change on the Guiana Shield between 2000 and 2015
- Deforestation due to mining activity on the Guiana Shield until 2018
- Assessing the natural capital of the Guiana Shield: water, carbon and biodiversity
- Valuation of ecosystem services at the transboundary scale of the Maroni Basin (French Guiana and Suriname
The partners of the project are:
- WWF Guianas in Suriname and Guyana
- The Secretary of State for the Environment of Amapá (SEMA), Brazil
- The National Forestry Office (ONF) in French Guiana
- The Foundation for Forest Management and Production Control (SBB), Suriname
- The Leibniz University of Hanover (LUH) in Germany
- ONF-International, team of consultants
Find all the information related to ECOSEO in the project sheet.